Pages

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

FamilySearch Luncheon


Title: Introducing your Grandchildren to your Grandparents

Speaker: Jim Ison, AG, CG

W133, Wednesday, 7 May 2014, 12:15 p.m.

Let’s spin forward 40 years to 2054. Everyone will do their genealogy using the latest in wrist watch, eye glass, hologram, and DNA technologies. Nearly everyone will trace their pedigree back to the first existence of applicable records. Our posterity will have quick access to birth, marriage, and death dates and places for hundreds or even thousands of direct ancestors.

With this future in mind, let’s take another look at the question posed by Dennis Brimhall, FamilySearch CEO, in his keynote address at RootsTech 2013: “What would your grandchildren or great grandchildren have wished you would have done?” Instantly upon hearing this question, I knew that I must introduce my children, grandchildren, and future generations to my parents and grandparents and great grandparents as “real” people, not just names, dates, and places.

Fortunately, soon after this keynote, FamilySearch fortified my new resolve by releasing Photos, Stories, Documents, and Sources as fabulous new features at https://familysearch.org/. Now I really could introduce my grandchildren to my grandparents. Since key events in the lives of our ancestors can be lost in just three generations, preserving can be even more important than researching.

Learn several strategies I used to introduce my children and grandchildren to my grandparents, especially how Lorilla Spencer, a teacher from the plains of South Dakota, and Frank Ison, a seaman from the farms of Bavaria, met in the hills of Eastern Kentucky. And why researching the “Ison” surname will quickly lead to brick walls unless you know the rest of the story.

Jim Ison







Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment